VODAFONE ANNOUNCES MULTI MILLION POUND NETWORK INVESTMENT ACROSS BRIGHTON
Vodafone UK has announced a major network investment across Brighton, bringing stronger indoor and outdoor coverage and mobile internet services across its 3G and 4G networks. The multi-million pound investment across the town will extend 3G and 4G mobile coverage to more than 98% of Brighton’s population.
As a consequence of the network improvements already undertaken by Vodafone over the last year, mobile data traffic in Brighton has rocketed. Customers in the town on average are now collectively using nearly one and a half terabytes of data every day; which equates to the entire capacity of ‘The Brighton Centre’ all streaming Royal Blood’s latest album around seven times each*. This also includes a major data spike, equivalent to over 3.5 million additional Snapchat images sent and received, on the days of the ‘The Great Escape Festival’.
The upgrade forms part of Vodafone’s approximate £2 billion nationwide network and service investment over the last two years. This investment is already benefitting customers in Brighton, a fact endorsed by results from independent technology consultancy LCC, which show that Vodafone has unbeatable indoor and outdoor 4G coverage in the town**. In light of this, 4G data usage in Brighton is now growing month on month and total data usage is over eight times more than it was this time last year.
In addition, the recent strengthening of our 3G network across the city has already provided greater coverage, High Definition (HD) Voice technology for voice calls and faster mobile internet services to more consumers and businesses.
A snapshot of Vodafone in Brighton:
- Vodafone is upgrading the sites across Brighton by implementing a 4G overlay system. This creates better indoor and outdoor coverage for both voice and data, whilst ensuring that concentrated areas of customers have the highest possible network capacity to cope with increased demand.
- The data usage across Brighton peaked by 25% on the day of the Christmas light switch on as well as increasing at both the Brighton Marathon and The Sussex Beer and Cider Festival.
- The average data traffic a week in Brighton is equal to browsing the internet for over 350,000 hours*- that’s equivalent to surfing the web for over 40 years!
- Over 60% of the date traffic in Brighton is now 4G data.
– ends –
For further information:
Vodafone UK Media Relations
Telephone: 01635 666777
NOTES TO EDITORS
- *based on the average song size being 4MB, average non HD film being 750MB and 1 hour of typical browsing equating to 10-25MB as collated by
- **4G coverage assessed by LCC in September against key competitors with 4G coverage.
- Vodafone has expanded its ultrafast 4G coverage to 750 larger cities, towns and districts as well as thousands of smaller communities across the UK. For more information on our 4G coverage visit vodafone.co.uk/4g.
- Customers can check Vodafone’s current and planned coverage at http://www.vodafone.co.uk/our-network-and-coverage/uk-coverage-map/index.htm
- Coverage predictions are based on an assumption that Vodafone can obtain planning permission to build sites, access to land or buildings to place equipment and backhaul to connect sites.
- Vodafone 4G is typically 3.6 times faster than our 3G. Speeds vary and depend on coverage and demand. For more information visit vodafone.co.uk/4g
- 4G devices are available for review on request.