PONTYPRIDD BECOMES THE 500TH COMMUNITY TO RECEIVE VODAFONE’S 4G NETWORK
- Vodafone customers across Pontypridd to benefit as Vodafone 4G starts to rollout across the town
- Part of Vodafone’s plans to strengthen its services across Wales under a £1 billion investment programme across the UK
- Vodafone UK today announced that Pontypridd in Rhondda Cynon Taff has become the 500th community to benefit from the arrival of its 4G service* less than three months after Bridgend became the 400th town to receive the high- speed mobile network.
Today’s announcement follows the news last month that Vodafone plans to invest in its mobile phone services across Wales to bring 3G and 4G mobile coverage to more than 94% of the Welsh population.
The arrival of Vodafone 4G in Pontypridd means customers with compatible devices and bundles will be able to connect to the internet more quickly, more reliably and in more places than ever before. Vodafone customers will also be able to take advantage of a wide range of entertainment content whether at home or on the go, offering music, sport, movies and TV through Vodafone’s leading content partnerships**.
The plans also include strengthening the existing mobile phone services across the town bringing stronger indoor and outdoor network coverage and mobile internet access to more communities and businesses.
Jorge Fernandes, Chief Technology Officer for Vodafone UK, commented: “Our network improvements across Pontypridd will ensure users enjoy stronger 3G coverage, whilst the arrival of 4G will also help local businesses react faster to the needs of their customers. We also know that 70% of our customers use their mobile devices most in the home or the office, which is why our investment is particularly focused to improving indoor coverage.”
The rollout of 4G services is part of approximately £1 billion Vodafone is planning to spend on its network and services in the UK this year. Vodafone is currently offering 4G to 65% of UK premises***. In addition, Vodafone is implementing its Rural Open Sure Signal programme, aimed to give 100 remote communities across the UK 3G coverage for the first time. These include Loggersheads Country Park and Brynesglwys in Denbighshire, Moylegrove in Pembrokeshire and Corris in Gwynedd. Vodafone has already installed the ground-breaking technology to provide 3G coverage in the rural community of Pendine in Carmarthenshire.
NOTES TO EDITORS
- *4G speeds vary and depend on coverage and demand. For more information visit www.vodafone.co.uk/4g
- **For more information on Vodafone’s current 4G content partnerships visit www.vodafone.co.uk/4g
- ***Ofcom “Measuring mobile broadband performance in the UK” report – 27 March 2015
- Coverage predictions are based on an assumption that Vodafone can obtain planning permission to build sites, access to land or buildings to place equipment and backhaul to connect sites.
- Customers can check Vodafone’s current and planned coverage at http://www.vodafone.co.uk/our-network-and-coverage/uk-coverage-map/index.htm
- For more information on the Vodafone Rural Open Sure Signal programme visit www.vodafone.co.uk/rural
- Vodafone Data Test Drive – use as much UK data as you want for three months when you choose a Pay monthly or 12-month SIM only plan. For more information visit www.vodafone.co.uk/testdrive
Vodafone UKVodafone House, The Connection, Newbury, Berkshire RG14 2FN, England