VODAFONE 4G ARRIVES ON THE ISLES OF SCILLY
Vodafone UK has made network improvements across the Isles of Scilly this week, including the roll out its 4G network.
The improvements – on 2G, 3G and 4G networks – mean residents and visitors to the islands will be able to download music in seconds and catch up on the latest TV shows or movies whilst on the move. They will also help the thousands of visitors to the islands each year navigate using online maps. Meanwhile, 4G services will also support local businesses, improving productivity by enabling their employees to work more effectively wherever they are whenever they want to.
The news comes just a month after Vodafone launched its new Community Indoor Sure Signal (CISS) programme. The CISS programme aims to provide reliable 3G mobile coverage to up to 100 rural community hubs, such as independent or community run pubs and shops, village halls, scout huts, doctor’s surgeries or visitor centres, which do not have it. Applications are still being taken with the first selected communities being announced in the autumn.
Kye Prigg, Head of Mobile Networks for Vodafone UK, commented: “Mobile connectivity plays a vital role in keeping rural communities in touch and helps support local economies. However, rural and remote locations often miss out on advantages provided by modern communication tools, due to the complexity of delivering network coverage. This can be because of the geography of the area or difficulties with planning permissions in places of outstanding natural beauty, so it’s great news the Isles of Scilly is now benefiting from our best network ever. We hope our customers who live on the island, or those who are just visiting, enjoy great coverage wherever they go across the islands.”
Vodafone continues to increase its network coverage across the UK and has recently launched a 30 day network guarantee to give new and upgrading customers the chance to try out Vodafone’s network before committing to a contract. It is the only mobile company to offer such terms. Vodafone has also introduced High Definition (HD) Voice nationwide and WiFi Calling to a number of its leading smartphones to ensure its customers can make reliable high quality calls, wherever they are.
For further information:
Vodafone UK Media Relations
Telephone: 01635 693 693
Notes to Editors
- Customers can check Vodafone’s current and planned coverage at vodafone.co.uk/our-network-and-coverage/uk-coverage-map/index.htm
Vodafone Community Indoor Sure Signal programme
- There is still time for people to apply for the Vodafone Community Indoor Sure Signal programme, which is focused on providing reliable, indoor mobile coverage and internet access within local hubs such as independent or community run pubs and shops, village halls, scout huts, doctor’s surgeries or visitor centres. Applicants do not need reliable mobile coverage to qualify for the programme.
- Vodafone will provide a successful applicant with an Open Sure Signal box similar in size to a ROSS unit so that both employees and visitors to the community hubs will be able to make and receive calls as well as use mobile data over a mini 3G network. For the technology to work a centre requires an existing broadband connection with unlimited broadband package, download speeds of at least 4Mbps download and 2Mbps upload speeds and a power source (normal 3-pin plug). The applicant will also require the broadband bill payer’s permission.
- Further information and application details are available at vodafone.uk/CISS
Vodafone Home Broadband
- Vodafone has removed line rental charges for new and upgrading fibre optic home broadband customers – they will still receive a landline and enjoy the benefits, but won’t have to pay a penny for it
- Vodafone’s Unlimited Fibre Broadband 38 is now the lowest price for unlimited fibre broadband in the UK market vs major broadband providers and best pricing has been reserved for existing mobile customers who will save an additional £3 per month
- All fibre broadband packages are unlimited and deliver high speed broadband across the UK
- For our most recent price comparisons, further details and terms see vodafone.co.uk/broadband
About Vodafone UK
Vodafone is one of the world’s largest telecommunications companies and provides a range of services including voice, messaging, data and fixed communications. Vodafone has mobile operations in 26 countries, partners with mobile networks in 55 more, and fixed broadband operations in 17 markets. As of 30 June 2016, Vodafone had 465 million mobile customers and 13.7 million fixed broadband customers. For more information, please visit: www.vodafone.com.
Vodafone UK partners with businesses of all sizes - from start-ups and small businesses to the largest corporates and the public sector. The company has worked with UK businesses for over 30 years, starting out as a mobile provider and becoming one of the UK’s leading total communications partners. It provides a range of voice and data services, secure communications infrastructure, fixed and call centre capability, unified communications and was the first mobile phone operator to offer a truly converged service for fixed and mobile.
Vodafone is currently spending around £1 billion on its network and services across the UK following a similar amount spent last year. This includes £200 million on its network in London, the introduction of its 4G service to more than 860 cities and towns, as well as thousands of smaller communities whilst also making network improvements across its UK 3G network. Meanwhile, The Vodafone Rural Open Sure Signal programme is also aiming to bring 3G coverage for the first time to 100 remote communities across the UK.
Vodafone UKVodafone House, The Connection, Newbury, Berkshire RG14 2FN, England
Vodafone UK Media RelationsTelephone: +44 (0) 1635 693 693
Vodafone LimitedRegistered Office: Vodafone House, The Connection, Newbury, Berkshire RG14 2FN Registered in England No: 1471587